I made some shading adjustments in the bottom petals. Changed the shape of the petal to the far right to be more pleasing, eventhough that’s not how it looked. Adjusted the color in the background to be warmer, and not distract from the rose. Oil Pastels on 8×10″ hardboard.
Nearly finished, I have a few adjustments to make. Now that I have gotten more adapted to using this surface I like it, and I like the smooth look. Still, I want to try something with more tooth to see if I like it better, although i think smooth is a benefit for a rose. I have found that blending the first layer of Neopastels with a blending stump, and then going over it with the softer Sennelier Oil Pastels gets the best results. Oil Pastel on Sanded Masonite 8×10″
Second sitting of Yellow Rose. I have the Rose done for the most part, but there are a few things I need to adjust. Sometimes I don’t see them until I take this photo. This surface, sanded masonite is just a little too smooth, and dark. I’m still trying out substrates. Neopastel on sanded masonite, 8×10″.
This is a Yellow Rose from my garden, the one with magenta edges is my favorite color of rose to paint. I thought I would do one in Neopastels on a coarsly sanded piece of raw acid-free hardboard 8×10″. I like this surface it’s like working on sanded brown paper. The different petals show various stages of application.